profile picture

profile picture

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Baking Success...sort of..





My So, I made another loaf of sandwhich bread that is gluten and dairy free. I was so proud of myself because I dedicated a lot of time to research types of flour, the ones that are best for baking bread, healthiest, taste the best, etc. I made my own flour mix using a scale to get my ratios of starch and protein flours just right (40 60), and then realized the recipe I was using (from the cook book Gluten free on a Shoestring by Nicole Hunn) was NOT dairy free. That has been the biggest challenge- finding a recipe that is BOTH. Well, I used almond milk and Earth balance dairy/soy free butter spread instead and it looked and smelled REALLY good. Well...the texture was goey (like the first pancakes I attempted) and didn't taste real great. :/ Such a waste of flour and ingredients. I have been successful at baking delicious muffins, perfecting apple cinnamon pancakes (that are amazing!) and even make flour less brownies using nondairy butter/milk and they were amazing. The bread is taking lots of experimenting, but I know I will get it down eventually. 

                       My work space 


                Yummy pancakes!! 


This stuff is so delicious on pancakes. Even if you aren't dairy free, try it out. Yummy! 

A few websites I've found really helpful are Once a month mom: http://onceamonthmeals.com 

And http://glutenfreegoddess.blogspot.com/?m=1

And http://glutenfreegirl.com

If anyone else is going on the same diet journey, these are some resources I've found most helpful. And the kids have approved most of my recipes 

                He ate my soup too! 



            Little Alex approved too :) 

            Happy cooking everyone! 




No comments:

Post a Comment