profile picture

profile picture

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

These are a few of my favorite things

My blog has been mistreated badly, and I don't even know where to begin writing about the past few months in our lives. Again, lots of change (new house, new car, Todd's new job, Andrew's new school, LOTS of doctor appointments, new church, change in diet, experimenting with essential oils/nutrient supplements..etc.). God likes to shake up our lives lately, but it keeps us healthy and in a constant search for improvements! :) Stagnant lives can get so dull. ;) (by the way....I am a creature of habit and thrive on predictability....whoa have I grown!!)

Anywho...I figured I would put aside some time from the craziness that ensues life while raising two toddlers under 5. So here are a few of our favorite things at the moment.

1- Andrew's talking. Man can that boy talk now! Some of the funniest phrases to date have been: "But I want to go to the beer store!!!"  Explanation- Andrew got the idea that the mall by our house (with a Mcdonald's inside), is called "The beer store" after overhearing Todd and I discuss who was going to run into the beer store after grocery shopping.  I'm telling you- those kids hear EVERYTHING now. other phrases- "I missed you mommy" after school. "It's October!"  "I love you Sadie Sue" while talking to the dog. And of course when he's talking to Abby. "No Abby, we aren't going to Target right now, but maybe later" :)

2- Andrew's growing independence. 3 year olds can be very difficult. They are too young to understand that days can't be spent eating junk food, going to Target, buying every toy they see,  followed by a ride in the train to Boston. Yet they are old enough to perfectly tell you EXACTLY what they want even followed by a "please mommy."  And those little emotions are still pretty unpredictable which means meltdowns are pretty frequent around here; however, watching him give Abby her blanket when she's upset, getting himself an apple from the counter for snack, following his schedule pictures (and even changing them on his own), going to the bathroom and washing his hands on his own (while screaming, "No I don't want Mommy!!!!"): those are some pretty awesome things to see happening. :)

3-Andrew's love for school.  I was pretty worried about Andrew's attention span/high energy level at school. We have been to play groups, library time, children's museums, etc. and he has NEVER sat still for any sort of circle time. Come to find out- he is one of the better behaved children in his classroom when it's circle time. Ms. Maura (his pre-school teacher) said "he is always watching, sitting still, and participating. He's already learned our new hello song!" I got so teary-eyed when I heard this. I was SO worried he wouldn't be quite ready for the structured classroom, but I had it all wrong. He thrives on structure just like his Mommy. :) He is always singing his songs, pointing out shapes, talking about leaves falling from trees, talking about the weather, what month it is, etc. It makes me so happy!!

4.- Abby's talking/learning I know I'm biased, but my daughter is seriously a little genius. She picks up on everything. She is using phrases such as, "No like it." "no poop, just gas" (another hilarious phrase she picked up from Andrew), "I want more please" "want up" "thank you" "need to sit" (she is seriously already wanting to sit on the potty....polar opposite from Andrew who STILL fights it!). And as far as words- she says it all. When Andrew turned 2, he had no where close to 25 words. Abby is off the charts and picks up new words everyday! She helps put the dishes away, cleans up (and sings the clean up song), talks on the phone, and loves to put on jewelry/sunglasses and carry her purse around saying, "Shopping!"

5. Seeing how different our 2 babies are.  Yes, Abby has picked up on talking before Andrew did. But as far as emotions go- that little girl is a fire ball!! She has the biggest temper I think I've ever seen come from a 18 month old! Andrew is pretty laid back for the most part (unless he's overstimulated or tired). If my daughter doesn't get what she wants- the whole world will know it! Another difference is Andrew's ability to put puzzles together/figure out technology. My son has always been naturally drawn to puzzles and iPads/phones. He was once playing with a 5 year old who couldn't figure out how to turn on a toy and Andrew (being a little over 2 years old), flipped it over and turned on the switch. He couldn't talk at the time: but he understood everything! He is now able to put a 40 piece jigsaw puzzle (that he has NEVER seen) together in less than 20 min. No joke. It's amazing.

6. My personal favorites that make me happy- running (even though I don't make enough time for it), bubble baths in my AWESOME new tub, Alex and Ani bracelets, and of course: coffee and wine. :) I've been told to cut down on my coffee intake due to anxiety (technically, he may have said to STOP drinking caffeine...but I'm not ready for that) so the way I dealt with the dilemma is buy half caff coffee. Hey- I stopped drinking caffeine when I was pregnant...I've earned my right to have it now!! ;-) And I WILL run a full marathon at one point in my life. I am determined and REALLY wanted to run the Boston Marathon last year and obviously God knew what he was doing when I didn't qualify for it. So....I will hold myself to it by writing this blog. Hopefully within the next 5 years. Not sure if a 3rd baby is in our future, so I need to get to work before that is decided!! :)

Here are a few pictures of our new life in Woburn, MA!

Lunch in Freeport, Maine





Andrew with his teacher, Ms. Maura :) 

I just found this treasure. Dance party in Mommy's new car! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment