profile picture

profile picture

Monday, December 2, 2013

Driven/Fall 2013

Fall is coming to a close, and winter is slowly moving in. I remember last year's first snow: on December 1st (very fitting I must say). It was peaceful, beautiful, and exciting. December is one of my favorite months of the year. It feels so magical and makes me realize how very much we have to be grateful for. Christmas with kids is amazing. The moment Andrew saw Santa Clause in the mall brought tears to my eyes. He had this look of amazement and the biggest smile I've ever seen. Christmas IS really magical to children. I love it.

With that said, the worst part of the year follows right after Christmas. The dreaded winter. I get so depressed and lonely in the last winter months. Christmas is over and the chill in the air is brutal. By the time March rolls around, I am over the heavy coats, gloves, hats, and scarves that I've had to keep up with for a family of 4 (and by then we've already gone through 3 sets each). Last night, I was thinking about what drives different people. What keeps their spirit alive and motivates them to be happy, healthy, and thankful for all they have. Even in the bleary winter months. I'm driven by being around the people in my life and seeing them happy. That's not exactly easy when we live so far from our family and close friends. I'm also driven by fitness. Not only because I want my clothes to fit nicely, but because it  gives me power. Literally. I'm stronger, I feel better, I'm happier, and I can keep up with my kids.  I also have a sense of achievement when I've ran a new distance. Some people are driven by competition/winning (my husband), making a difference in others'  lives (this fits me too), entertaining, reading a challenging book, teaching, by starting a new home project or craft (I wish this were me), or by working hard in the garden.  Whatever it is that drives us, it's always nice to see some sort of a positive result.

When we don't have something healthy that drives us, that's when it could go in the wrong direction and people may find other ways of "driving themselves" ( alcohol/drugs,unhealthy food, caffeine). So my thought today: keeping myself driven this winter. I have something "in the works" that will "force" me to continue running even in the freezing winter. We will see if it pans out. ;-) So don't forget to take care of yourself. Don't forget what drives you. I hope everyone had a wonderful Thanksgiving!

A few pictures from our fall
                                                              Apple Picking 2013




Jake, Leslie, Alex, and baby Emily came to visit! 





Halloween Parade




Somebody couldn't wait to eat..



No comments:

Post a Comment