profile picture

profile picture

Sunday, December 8, 2013

Let the training begin

Despite the 28 degree temp. and the snow on its way, I got a good 5 miles under my belt tonight (woohoo!). It felt really good too. Even though this measly mileage is NO comparison to the 26.2 that a marathon entails, I'm happy to say I'm able to run 5 miles with no problem. I've got a long way to go, but I can do it. I printed off a 16 week beginner's schedule for marathon training, and it doesn't technically start until after Christmas (which is awfully convenient I must say).

It's crazy to think that I've been a "runner" for almost 20 years now. I have always used running as my "drug" of choice, a way to burn off some stress or just a way to get myself going (and it always feels great after it's done). My PE coach in elementary school was actually the one that sparked my interest in running. She was SO fit (even when pregnant with her 2nd child). We were running a timed mile in PE one day when my shoe fell off. I kept running and when I got to her asked what I should do and she said, "Keep running!! Throw me your shoe!" I remember finishing that mile in 10 minutes  (with grass and stickers in my sock), and she was so proud. She kept telling me I did awesome. (no doubt it probably looked good on the "test results" too). Oddly enough, a few years later she was also my cheerleading coach for a year. And man that woman made us RUN. Everyone knew that if you were a High School cheerleader that you better get ready to work your butt off. She didn't mess around. And I loved that she would always run with us. That was great.

I could never categorize myself as an "elite runner" (I always liked seeing them at the very front of the starting line, finger on their fancy runner's watch, bodies' nothing but bone and muscle). There was a guy I used to see at a lot of the races in Dallas. He was recognizable by his poofy hair (Carrot Top style).  At one of the 5 K's, I was getting close to the finish line when I noticed him throwing the BIGGEST fit…I mean..full on kicking the grass, jumping up and down and SCREAMING like a child. Come to find out he was "supposed" to be first place out of the entire race, but the signs led him astray and he went off the course.  He did end up placing 2nd I believe….but that was NOT good enough apparently. :)

 I ran a 5K with my coworkers one year and ended up placing 3rd in my age division (I got 2nd in my age group the next year!).  I was in denial. A woman I worked with said, "look…there's a 3 next to your name! I think you got 3rd place!" My response- "No way. I couldn't' possibly be fast enough." Yep. I got a medal and everything. That's the year I made the decision to run a half marathon (with no thoughts of placing- just focused on finishing).

Those are my thoughts about the whole marathon ordeal that I have gotten myself in. :) I may not be the fastest or the best, but as long as I try….that will be plenty for me.  Here are a few pics of what's been going in at our home and some my cutie pies. 
I always wanted our tree in the window :)

                      pre-nap Abby ;) 

               post nap/adorable curls :)
             popcorn and movie reward 

somebody partied too hard at the popcorn party the night before :) 

           Such a cutie with pigtails 






No comments:

Post a Comment