profile picture

profile picture

Thursday, March 20, 2014

A few of my favs-running edition

I finished my half marathon this past Sunday and it actually felt great! I finished in a little under 2 hours (according to my phone), even with all the hills! It was just what I needed to boost my confidence for the upcoming marathon (a month from tomorrow!)
Don't let this picture fool you- it was so stinkin cold that day!!! (20's) My nose is now chapped


I've been introduced to some new "runners' gear" throughout my training. I'm not a big fan of "advertising" certain preferred products, but figured this was more for giving my advice on what's worked for me during this crazy training I've been enduring. At my last meeting for the Ragnar Relay, a lot of the ladies were talking about foam rollers and shot blocks. I had to look further into these 2 "runners' tricks," so have been taking the shot blocks (they are basically the energy gels runners/bikers take to boost their electrolytes and stamina during races but in a gummy form). They are really great tasting and seem to work! I will say- I've taken the GU brand gels and chews and actually think they work a little better (they seems to boost my energy quite a bit more), but don't taste quite as good. The day of the half, I ate a little bag of GU chews and took 1 gel pack about half-way through and it was just the amount of energy I needed to finish strong.


I also invested in a runner's belt although I'm considering returning it for one with 2 water bottles. I didn't think I would need the water bottles, but I wanted more water than what was available during my half.  I'm still worried they will slosh around and be uncomfortable weight-wise while I'm running, but I saw quite a few people with them and they don't seem too bad. My new belt was also a bit too big (it kinda bounced while I ran), so I may need to look into a smaller one. I did LOVE putting my phone in the pouch and then having room for my gel packs during the run. It was more comfortable than my arm band (even though it doesn't usually bother me too much). I can't use the camel bak during the Boston Marathon, so I thought having the water bottles might be a good plan for 26 miles (even though I'm sure they are plenty prepared with water and gatorade stops).

As far as the foam roller- I decided not to buy one (even though I'm still looking into the tiger tails hand held one), but I've been using the one at my gym and LOVE it!! It was such a life-saver today. I've been having some tightness in my right quad and it seems to be affecting my knee. Well today I used the foam roller to roll out some tightness and WOW-it helped tremendously!! I think I may just need the hand-held one (especially to have for the Ragnar Relay). My next purchase for my runners' gear. :)

I also googled the best socks for runners and found Thorlo Experia mini-crew socks and WOW! They rock! They are quite pricey, but are so supportive and have been keeping my feet dry and cushioned! I guess they are my "magic socks" that go right with my "magic shoes" ;-)

Todd is out of the country right now, so it's just me and the kids for a week. We are managing but the days seems to go on forever without him here. I had the ultimate disgusting experience today AND yesterday (both involving my son and poop….). I don't even want to get into that right now, but I will say I seriously hope that tops the list of "Most disgusting mommy experiences" because yea…it was that bad. :( Even after the food poisoning…this was way worse…EEK!

I was re-reading some of my old blogs the other day and found the "Size 4 diapers" one to be quite pathetic intriguing. ;-) Abby has actually been wearing that exact size for over a year-no kidding. I don't think that little miss will ever fit into size 5's (crossing my fingers on being done with diapers soon….), so I find it SO ironic that I had such a weird obsession over that size with Andrew. Kinda funny. :) She really is so petite that I get a little worried when the doctor says, "10th percentile for weight and 25th for height" and I expect it to be followed with- "Are you feeding this poor girl???" HA! :) But they don't seem the least bit concerned and usually respond to my worried look with- "She is small like her mommy," which is kinda nice to hear. :) Because seriously people- that girl eats all.day.LONG! That's basically what she does (and she ALWAYS has food ALL over her face…even right after I wipe her down, somehow she is still covered in food when we pick Andrew up from school every day!) Fun times. :) I just took a quiz that claims I will be having 3 children. We will see how that pans out. :) Gotta get the 2nd one potty trained before there will be talk of any others! :)
she usually cuddles with daddy in the morning but has settled for mommy cuddle time :) 

She does this anytime she gets tired :) 
      I look angry- lol-Watching Frozen 
            Up to no good probably ;) 




No comments:

Post a Comment