profile picture

profile picture

Friday, January 10, 2014

2nd kid- every mom is an "expert"

Have you ever seen the Luvs commercials about moms after having their second kid? They are my favorite and are so true. The first kid, you are learning EVERYTHING as you go. You are overly cautious, don't want people to "judge" if you do something "differently," go over-the-top preparation wise, and ask the doctor about everything. Well, with the second, you are an "old-pro" and kind of decide to do things on your own based on your mommy instincts. You know your children best and would rather go with your gut than trust what others have to say about your "style of parenting."

I was re-reading some of my posts from when Andrew was around Abby's age and younger. I remember being pretty stressed most of the time because I had a full time job (as a VERY busy teacher no less) and he was a very energetic toddler that was into everything. I didn't document as much as I wish in 2011 and 2012, but we had a lot of changes coming and were super busy with preparation (baby coming, deciding whether to live in Spain or Boston, lots of traveling for Todd (and a little for me too), and then the big move up here).  One particular post got me laughing.

Well,  we were at the gym yesterday when my determined 22 month old daughter kept yelling, "no hold! Walk!" when we reached the stairs to exit the gym. Well, she was carrying our lunch box (we had lunch in the car because yesterday was a busy day of training and Andrew had school afterward), and her blanket. I decided to let her do what she wanted because she is actually very good at stairs (we have lots of stairs in our house). The ladies at the front were talking to Andrew and admiring his hat. I was telling them about my over-achieving daughter that insisted on putting on her own coat and walking the stairs by herself when they said, "Uh oh!!" Yep…Abby tumbled down the stairs. :/ If I'm being completely honest- I really wasn't scared….more embarrassed. I knew she was fine…but it looked pretty bad. Andrew did the same thing when he was little (quite a bit younger than Abby), but I remember FREAKING out…I was so worried and paranoid and even thought about calling the doctor. His fall was not even half as bad as Abby's yesterday. And she is perfectly fine (aside from what I think is the flu)….I bet next time we attempt these stairs she will either: a. ask for help if she has her hands full or b. is much more cautious and careful taking each step and paying attention to what she's doing. Live and learn. :)

Andrew ended up getting sick after all, and I think it may be the flu. I've been letting them drink lots of watered down OJ, 2 spoonfuls of elderberry syrup each day, lots of vitamins, and diffusing RC and thieves in his room every night. If I'm being honest- I don't want to take them to the doctor yet because I know they will face me with the decision of tamiflu and I just don't want to give that to my kids. I'm going to give it the weekend (Andrew was already off today which worked out nicely), and if it gets worse (which I've seen them both way worse than now), then I will take them in. I'm still not feeling 100% either, and I actually got the flu shot this year. Hmmm….

Both of our kids are completely different in so many ways. We took Andrew's pacifier away from him at 1 year, Abby still has hers (and probably will until she's more than 2). Andrew refuses to drink water (which certain people tried to "blame" on us by saying we should have given him water and nothing else), while Abby will usually want water over any other drink. Andrew still wants a sippy cup (and gets really mad if he's tired and you give him a cup without a lid), while Abby wants a big girl cup with a straw or no lid. Abby LOVES " Manos" (tomatoes), eggs, cucumbers and HATES broccoli and carrots (the completely opposite is true for Andrew). Nothing we did differently- just 2 different people that know what they like/dislike. :)

Here are a few fun pictures from the past few days. It snowed again today, but we are going to stay inside and get plenty of rest. We have a birthday party tomorrow, so I hope we can make it! Have a great weekend! Oh and one more of my favorite Luvs commercials.   :)


              such a cute little diva :) 

    she wasn't feeling good so we        watched despicable me 2 while Andrew was at school 

      just lounging on Sadie while snacking 

  they love watching tv in mommy and daddy's bed 

1 comment:

  1. Hope they feel better!!! And I'm with you on Tamiflu- sounds like you're doing everything perfectly on your end.

    ReplyDelete