profile picture

profile picture

Monday, January 13, 2014

The "pizza effect"

So, Andrew is officially the sickest out of the family. :( I was really hoping he wouldn't get it, but I guess it's inevitable when living with 3 others who are sick. There has been a lot of snuggling going on in our house the last 2 weeks. Andrew has been in good spirits most of the time...

unless you feed him pizza...read on.. 

I hate to admit it, but we kinda fell off the GFCF diet wagon since the holidays. I try very hard to feed my kids healthy meals, but we weren't very strict about it while traveling (not exactly easy to find gluten AND dairy free meals while on the go). I didn't want to make anyone feel like they needed to modify their meals because of Andrew (especially the delicious, traditional holiday meals!) , and we did a lot more eating out than normal (which in itself is almost impossible to find something he can eat).  The dietician DID say we could be more flexible since he was negative for celiac disease and because he's made so much improvement in his behavior. But I definitely notice a huge difference in his demeanor and overall health when we stick with the diet.

 I have been guilty of having non-GFCF food around Andrew, and he's been sneaking a cereal bar here, a bite of a bagel there, and he loves my wheat chex (which is odd to me because it has no sugar and it actually really healthy besides the gluten). But the 1 food that we have figured out has the WORST affect on Andrew is pizza! Of course he loves it and of course it's served at most parties, get togethers, and was something I liked having on hand for a quick meal. I used to love pizza, but actually  don't really like it anymore. We used to eat little frozen pizzas for lunch pretty frequently, so I guess I just got tired of it (this was last year). We don't eat it very often but when Andrew has some he is SO wild and then crashes and has crazy meltdowns the next day. The night before we flew back to Massachusetts, we ate pizza for dinner and he was AWFUL in the airport (worse than I have seen him in a LONG time). It was definitely the worst place to be calming an angry child down (and dragging him on an airplane). :/ Well, he had pizza again yesterday and was awful last night.  Yes, he IS sick, but he would NOT go to bed and then started crying so hard Todd couldn't understand him and I had to go in and have a heart to heart with him.  It's really the worst combination of what he can't have and something I'm afraid we won't be allowed to give him anymore.  I am still convinced dairy causes his his respiratory problems, so I NEED to be strict with leaving dairy out (and am usually more strict about dairy than gluten).

As for my marathon training, I ran a total of 24 miles this week (which included a 14 mile run on Saturday!!) It was a huge accomplishment, but my body is letting me know that I have a lot more training to go until April. It's been very hard with 2 sick kids and I'm still not feeling back to myself, but I'm managing. I don't know how I'm going to fit in a good run today with Andrew being sick, but maybe when Todd gets home from work. Here are some pictures from my 14 mile run 
   they were congregating together and seemed so happy and peaceful: almost as if spring is on the way (I wish!!!) 

I seriously wanted to run and slide on this but didn't think it would be safe until I saw this...
             they are ICE fishing!! 
a dad out with his kids for a day of ice sledding and fishing :) Only in New England 
it's official!! you can even find my name under the participants section at baa.org 


 I'm pretty good at the "recovery days" lately and definitely eat enough food to fuel my 14 mile runs! :) Have a great week!

He has been crawling in bed with me since he's been sick (you can see Sadie in the right side too) :)

poor little guy looks so sick :( 

Mommy and Abby selfie 

she is so cute in purple 

I have the 2 cutest kids ever :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment