profile picture

profile picture

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Red-faced runner

I've completed my first week of training for the marathon and here's how I'm feeling at the moment:
I ran 25 miles total last week. With being sick and the snow storm, I had to take off 3 days and that put me a bit behind. I'm sore and a bit scared because I ran 25 miles in a WEEK and that is less than I will be running in a DAY come April. Frightening. I've been watching YouTube videos about marathoners which is pumping me up and making me excited, but I'm still scared. I watched this PBS video where they challenged 14 "sedentary" people to train with Team Nova to run the Boston Marathon. They did full physical exams, checked their body fat percentage, checked their VO2 max (a person's ability to utilize oxygen during exercise), and all of them but 1 (she had some stress fractures in her shins), were given the ok to train. It showed their journey, their pain along the way, and their ability to overcome obstacles. They all finished the Boston marathon. It was an incredible video that I recommend taking a look at. It makes you realize how powerful our bodies are and how becoming even a little more active will significantly improve your health. I love that lesson. 

My favorite bit of knowledge I've gained so far is about tempo training. Basically you break your distance runs into sets of running faster than you normally would and then back to your normal pace. This trains your body to have more stamina at a faster pace. It is exhausting, but it sure does make me feel great afterward. 

One thing I can't seem to figure out is how to prevent the redness my face gets after every run. It doesn't matter if I run 3 miles or 10, my face gets super red and people seem to really stare. It's embarrassing which makes my face even MORE red. I wanted to take a picture but am a bit self conscious about how nasty I look after a run. :) I guess being indoors all day and running when the heater in the gym is going doesn't help.  It seems like a very minor problem, but my face literally starts pulsating once it starts turning red and that can be a nuisance. Maybe I will talk to my doctor about that one. 

I got the official emailing stating I will be assigned a bib number! :) People that actually qualified for the marathon probably got this email back in September (considering it says I will receive my confirmation of acceptance in October). I sent the email to Todd as soon as I got it and his response: "Sh*t just got real." My husband is quite the jokester. :) Here is the email  


Dear Kristi Templeton,

This is to notify you that your entry into the 118th Boston Marathon on    has been accepted, provided that the information you submitted is accurate.

A Confirmation of Acceptance card will be mailed to you via US Postal Service mail in October.

In early April 2014, an official Number Pick-up Card and Welcome Booklet regarding the B.A.A. Boston Marathon and related race week activities will be mailed to you via US Postal Service first class mail. If you do not receive your Number Pick-up Card (required to claim number) and brochure by April 9, please contact our Registration Office at registration@baa.org. Registration related inquiries may also be directed to 508-435-6905. Throughout the year we will issue email communications to remain in contact with you, providing race-related information as it becomes available. You may also want to follow us on Facebook to get regular updates from the B.A.A.

Note that bib numbers will not be distributed on Race Day. Your travel arrangements should take into account picking up your number at the Hynes Convention Center, 900 Boylston Street, on Frida7:00 p.m.Saturday, April 19 from 9:00 a.m. to 7:unday, April 20 from 9:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m.

Yay! It's starting to feel real now. Lots of well wishes and prayers are appreciated as I continue my training. 

No comments:

Post a Comment