profile picture

profile picture

Friday, February 21, 2014

Grin and "bare" it

I've wanted to blog about something I have noticed at my gym. Today was about the worst case I've seen of this "unusual occurrence", so I just HAD to write about it. Maybe I'm too modest…maybe it's a "northern thing" (this is what my friend Kelley said after she witnessed the woman's locker room at my gym). I don't know….but walking around baring it all (no matter what your age, your physique, your skin color), is a very normal thing in the woman's locker room where I work out. And I understand changing your clothes after a swim, walking from the shower to the changing area, even walking out of the stall still working on getting yourself dressed…but carrying on casual conversations, blow drying your hair, sitting in a chair watching the news, putting on your make-up….with NO bra…and today- NO underwear….that may just be a bit much for me. No kidding- it is every single time I walk through the locker room.

One day I almost walked right into a topless woman (towel covering only from  below her boobs…). It doesn't really "bother me"…it's just unusual considering I have always been one to turn away from even my closest friends when changing in the same room. Too modest? Well, when I stopped to watch a story that was on the news in the locker room (it was about a terminally ill child in Texas whose town put on a princess parade for her---heart melt--amazing),  I paid no attention to the woman sitting right in front of the television wearing only her underwear (no bra), until she suddenly became very embarrassed, apologized and then covered herself….awkward. If you are going to sit around in a public place naked, you need to be able to do it with confidence and understand- there ARE other women walking in and out of this place and they ARE going to see you. Last week,  a women's teenage daughter walked in to find her mom completely naked standing in front of the mirror and her reaction was priceless:  "Ummm…ok mom!!" Her mom replied- "You gotta do what you gotta do" :) I think that moment made me realize maybe I'm being a tad bit juvenile about the whole thing. That said- you won't find me in the middle of a public place casually applying my makeup while sitting completely naked.  ;-)

I ended up working out twice on Wednesday and have ran 15 miles this week so far (I need to get in a good 15 more tomorrow….EEK!!)  The kids also had a "kid fit" class at Heather's gym (Kylie's mom- Andrew's mother in law ;-) hehe) and they seemed to have a lot of fun as you see.



And nothing like a nice, winter's nap
         followed by a lot of this.....


And speaking of grinning and "baring" it, I may seem totally vain, but my abs are looking insanely awesome lately. I haven't been "obsessing" over working them out, but with engaging my abs while running along with the incredible strength training classes I have been taking, they have been naturally sculpting themselves. I have shared this picture with only my sister, but I am so proud I just had to share it else where. Another reason why I LOVE running.


So if anyone has been contemplating doing something like signing up for a 5K, 10K, half-marathon, or full marathon, I HIGHLY recommend it. You would be surprised what your body is capable of. Have a good weekend!


No comments:

Post a Comment