profile picture

profile picture

Monday, February 10, 2014

Smugglers' Notch

I have to give my husband some credit- he is the best at planning little getaways for our family. I am not real great at finding the best deals, places to stay, or planning out the details, but my beloved husband ROCKS when it comes to "scheming up a little vacation" :) I like to say I'm pretty content just staying home (for the most part), because packing for 2 kids and myself (especially ALL the snow gear), is quite a daunting task. So thank goodness Todd plans out the travel arrangements and gets us out of our comfort zone to do things that end up being the BEST memories ever. :)


We stayed at the resort complete with a kitchen so were able to cook meals during our stay (I would like to say we saved $$ that way, but man were our groceries expensive!!!) The day care was incredible. They had everything we needed, fed Abby warm meals and snacks, bundled them up and took them out to play in the snow, had nap time, and would even take them out on skis if you requested. She seemed to really enjoy herself and was worn out each day she came back. :)
                 eating a little snow 

Not only had I not been skiing in YEARS, but I have only been twice in my life. So, I'm definitely not an expert, but I like to think I am pretty athletic and pretty dang tough. Todd on the other hand has been many times and likes to go down the triple black diamonds and what not (!!!), so I was a bit worried about it being just me and him on the slopes (while the little ones were away at ski school and day care).  I allowed him to go off on his own on day 2 (and I actually did really good going down the greens on my own), and we met up after lunch. I mostly blame it on the magnificent coffee/baileys/frangelico concoction I had at lunch….maybe a little bit of my inability to control my speed along with my unreasonable confidence after my rounds down the greens….but I ended up skiing straight off a mountain!! Thankfully, nothing was hurt (except for my new found confidence in skiing), but it took me quite a while to get back up to the mountain not to mention quite a few onlookers  had a funny story to tell later that night. When we finally got back down the mountain, I looked at Todd and said, "Well now I HAVE to go back and try again or else next time we go skiing, flying off the mountain will be the first recollection I have of my ski experience." So we went again, and I did much better. No more speedy-style skiing for me (even though it was quite a rush of adrenaline). :)


Andrew's first day of ski school started off pretty good. He was crying (was still in his weepy mode- still not sure what that was all about), but seemed to be having fun the times we checked on him. I got a few videos of him on his skis and after watching the P&G commercials during the olympics this week, those videos may just come in handy when he's a winter olympian. :) Sadly, the first day didn't end so great. I don't want to focus on the bad, because day 2 was great….but on the first day, Andrew's ski instructors LEFT HIM at the bottom of the little magic carpet BY HIMSELF!!! :( Todd and I were right there and witnessed it happen right before our eyes (talk about momma and poppa bear getting upset). Make a long story short- we talked with the instructor (5 minutes into the ordeal), and then talked with the lady that heads the ski school. It kinda put a little damper on the first day because we have a hunch they did it on purpose (I'm the first one to say that Andrew is a handful when he's frustrated…but that is NO reason to abandon him while the rest of the group goes back up to try again), but I WILL say- day 2 was MUCH better! His instructors gave him the best attention (I'm pretty sure we were THOSE parents and they knew they were on thin ice with us), and he was even snow plowing by himself the next day!! It's moments like these when you realize how to advocate for your son, but not coddle or be too overbearing allowing him to give up (easier said than done).  It was a great 2nd day and he still talks about it at school. :)
              hot chocolate break 
                    some tubing 
Andrew's favorite part of ski school:        the tractor ride 
       he looks a tad bit miserable here ;) 
       testing out the skiis in our lodge 
          Winter Olympics 2030 ;) 

                      And 2034 :) 











No comments:

Post a Comment