profile picture

profile picture

Wednesday, February 5, 2014

A visitor and some good news

*I started this blog about a week ago…it was a *different* week to say the least. But it ended well. :)

One of my best friends from high school came to visit us last week. She's been quite the road tripper and has been traveling all over the US for the last month. She lives such a fascinating and exciting life full of traveling, celebrities (she has worked on celebrity apprentice for the last 5 or 6 seasons), and spontaneity. She is usually off work for a big chunk of the winter so decided to come visit me and my babes. :) Her train arrived in Boston so she and I actually stayed in Boston on Saturday night (I will use any reason to get away for a night). We stayed in a hotel, ate at a nice restaurant, had some delicious cocktails and then had a slumber party complete with wine and plenty of gossip. :)   We had so much fun and the kids absolutely LOVE "Kerrie!!" :) She cooked for us, stayed with Abby while I took Andrew to school, went to the gym with us, put together puzzles with Andrew, and enjoyed some Chick fil a on free kids meal Tuesday. :) She made a yummy snack that we termed "snuckers" (they are a snack on a stick and actually taste a lot like snickers without all the junk added). She found the recipe on Facebook and we tried them out and the kids love them.  I'm not a big fan of measuring so when I made them this week, I basically melted about 1 tablespoon of coconut oil with a tablespoon of raw honey, stirred that in a cup of gluten free oats, mixed in some ground flax seed, dairy free chocolate chips, and quite a bit of peanut butter. Stir it all up, roll them into balls, but a stick in the top and freeze them. They are delicious and pretty healthy! Andrew would get up in the morning and say, "As soon as Kelley gets up, we can eat some snuckers!" Andrew is actually now convinced that Kelley has been living on a train since we dropped her off at the train station last weekend. He keeps telling everyone, "Kelley is on a train right now."  Abby has told me this week that she wants to see Kelley, so I know those kiddos miss her to pieces (and so do I)! Those are the things I miss most about being with close friends in Texas.




On to some good news. This has actually been a pretty rough week as far as Andrew's behavior goes, so this good news was a bit of a surprise. First off, he had to get his first stitches last Thursday because he slipped and fell holding a bowl of what was going to be snow ice cream. :( It's not hard to assume that the snow ice cream was a bust (quite literally), and a trip to the ER was in order. He had bit into his lip and they had to stitch it up on the bottom (I could type a whole other blog on that little experience…).


 Anyway, this week he has been all out of sorts, and I can't decide if it is the stitches, if it's the fact that I've jumped back on the GFCF diet (kids actually regress when they are "detoxing" the first few weeks being on the diet), or if he's about to hit a new milestone. I've noticed some skill usually takes the backddd  burner when he is about to hit a new milestone (whether it's with his speech, potty training, becoming more independent, or just learning so much at once). He didn't want to stay at the second session of bible study at church (I teach while he's in the first session and then attend the 11 service when he's in the second session). Then we went to "Kylie's mom's gym" on Monday and he cried in the daycare there (that was actually quite an interesting morning at the gym….another story I should probably blog about for some laughs). :) Then on Tuesday, he DID NOT want to go to school. We got out of the car and he said, "I want you to hold me," and then said, "I don't want to go to school!!" I brought him in, carried him to his door (another mommy was so sweet and carried Abby in for me…I obviously had my hands full in that moment…). Well, make a long story short, I had to go get him early because he was still upset after I left him. :( It broke my heart because Andrew absolutely loves school so this was so odd to me. And anytime I have tried to go to the gym this week, he cries and cries and says, "I don't want to!! I want to stay in mommy's red car!" :( It was a tough week getting my runs in and was heart breaking to see him in such a funk. 

here he is at his play school sports day :) 


On to Wednesday- we had a speech evaluation at the Lurie Center (we had another appointment with them a couple weeks ago and I'm not even exaggerating when I say it took us 13 months to get into this place…I remember seeing January 2014 on our appointment date and thinking "Did they make a mistake on the year??!) Anyway, he was already having a rough week so I told her from the beginning that he will probably not do very well. HA! That Andrew of mine….he did so well that she couldn't believe he has been diagnosed with PDD-NOS. She said she didn't recommend any services at this time (?!), and she thinks he is doing really great! It was such a mix of emotions because I am SOOO proud of Andrew, but after all the appointments we've had with his pediatrician at MIT (whom I didn't care for in the least), who would INSIST he get more weekly hours because he NEEDS the help and he NEEDS a team of people with the Lurie Center helping him…and then we get nada. I can't believe how far he has come, and I truly think the diet changes have helped him tremendously. We have even been told we could start trying dairy again in a few years to see how he responds to it.  I couldn't be happier with the sweet boy he is becoming and yes- the week got quite a bit better. On to my next blog about our ski trip….whenever I get around to posting it! :) 

1 comment:

  1. I'm sorry you had such a rough week! But that really is fantastic news!

    ReplyDelete